Forum Forum

Go to forum

Unwanted and blocking interference

RSS
[member was deleted] 15/05/13 11:01

Hello everybody!

I have started using SEAMCAT few weeks ago. I would like to use the program to evaluate interferences between DVB, TETRA and LTE. We have the protection margins for all these technologies. However, after reading SEAMCAT manuals about unwanted and blocking interferences I do not understand at all the difference between these two calculations. 

In fact, blocking interference and the protection ratio / sensitivity mode are the options I do not understand how to use.

I would really appreciate any further help.

Thank you in advance.

[member was deleted] 16/05/13 11:18

On 15.05.2013 11:01 Concepcion Garcia-Pardo wrote:
"...

In fact, blocking interference and the protection ratio / sensitivity mode are the options I do not understand how to use. ... ".

Dear Concepción,

Which of the three options User defined, Protection ratio or Sensitivity you want to choose as Blocking mode depends mainly on the values of the limits given by the relevant standard(s). As nowadays most of the standards provide the limits as absolute values in dBm, the Sensitivty mode is the appropriate one, as you can use the limits 'unchanged' as entries of the blocking mask.

If the values are given as C/I - e.g. for DVB - you may rather choose Protection ratio, but in this case you would have to 'convert' negative values of C/I into positive. If the standard provides positive values in terms of I/C no change is required.

Both Blocking modes above require and consider (!) C/(N+I). Therefore its value should be set correctly.

The third Blocking mode User defined supposes positive values in terms of "blocking response", i.e. the required C/(N+I) is already taken into account by the limits.

You may find some additional information on the attachment. The figures in there are part of that I'm going to present to the next SEAMCAT Workshop 11. - 12. June 2013.

Regards,
Karl

[member was deleted] 16/05/13 14:04
On 16.05.2013 11:18 Karl Koch wrote:

..."Both Blocking modes above require and consider (!) C/(N+I). Therefore its value should be set correctly.

The third Blocking mode User defined supposes positive values in terms of "blocking response", i.e. the required C/(N+I) is already taken into account by the limits".

Dear Karl,

Thank you for your response. In fact, I am working with SEAMCAT v4.0.0 and using the files of the CEPT Report 104 because our studies are simmilar. However, in this report the SEAMCAT version used is version 3 and I do not know if the calculation of blocking attenuation is the same in both versions.

What I do not understand at all is why in this report (Annex 2) C=I=NoiseFloor and therefore C/I=0, C/(N+I)= -3 dB ... and the relationship with the figure you attached in your previous post.

Thank you in advance.

Best.

[member was deleted] 16/05/13 22:21
Dear Concepción,

Assuming that you are talking about the ECC Report 104 I completely agree with you that it is more than only confusing, in particular if comparing the assumptions made there with the figure "Relationship" on my document.

Concerning the calculation of blocking attenuation, all versions of SEAMCAT use the hard coded values for (N+I)/N and I/N, except 4.0.1 beta 16. This might be the reason why the group in carrying out the studies for the report used this quite strange method (my personal view) in order to simulate 'unwanted' and 'blocking' together on the same workspace. However, we should keep in mind that these values do not want to show the physics, they are only a “trick”.

In the past were some discussions about how to handle this issue. One of the proposals was the manipulation of the Interference Criteria similar to that provided in Annex 2 of the report. In my point of view we should define our receiver parameters as close as possible to the standards (at the end to the physics) which SEAMCAT should support (and beta 16 does).

If you use SEAMCAT 4.0.0 and Protection ratio as blocking mode, to me the best method is to choose C/(N+I) as given by the standard but deceasing the values of the blocking mask by the difference of 3 dB (hard coded desensitization) and the target desensitization of e.g. 1 dB (for I/N = -6 dB) accordingly. In case you use the Sensitivity mode, you would have to increase the (absolute) values of the mask by 6 dB due to the hard coded value of 0 dB.

If you would like to post one of your scenarios I probably could provide you a bit more precise proposal.

Regards,
Karl

P.S.: you may also use beta 16 e.g. for cross checking. But there is a small bug. When importing the blocking mask on the receiver panel of the workspace, it is erroneously called “Import Spectrum Emission Mask”. Fortunately this is only editorial J

[member was deleted] 17/05/13 09:26

Dear Karl,

In fact, if I think "close to physics", from my point of view I would use the protection ratio (minimum C/I for avoiding interference) as a C/I criteria for unwanted emissions. 

In the blocking mode, from your figure (assuming (N+I)/N= 3 dB for SEAMCAT 4), the attenuation is computed by using the protection ratio in order to make Interference=Noise. Correct? Maybe I do not understad correctly the blocking mode concept but I am not sure at all which is the relationship between the protection ratio between technologies (defined mostly by ITU recommendations) and the blocking-protection ratio mode.

Thank you in advance.

[member was deleted] 17/05/13 18:16

On 17.05.2013 09:26 Concepcion Garcia-Pardo wrote:
"... I am not sure at all which is the relationship between the protection ratio between technologies (defined mostly by ITU recommendations) and the blocking-protection ratio mode.".

Dear Concepción,

I fear that there is a basic misunderstanding.

The blocking modes “user defined”, “protection ratio” and “sensitivity” do NOT present physically different mechanisms. They provide “only” - depending on the “meaning” of the values of the blocking mask (which only the user can know) - the appropriate calculation algorithms.

• If the values provide the limits in terms of absolute allowed power, “sensitivity” is the correct mode.
  • If the values consider already the required C/(N+I), “user defined” has to be used, otherwise C/(N+I) would be taken into account twice.

Please find on the attachments some more background information.

Regards,
Karl

[member was deleted] 21/05/13 16:15

Dear Karl,

Thank you for your response and your documents. After reading your answer I have realised that may be I am wrong with the concept "Blocking".

As I can see in the Handbook: "Note that the definition of avr in the final relationship is based on the assumption that the interfering signal is reduced by the receiver filter to the level of thermal noise". Why the attenuation of the receiver it is supposed to reduce the interference to the termal noise? Because in a real system this will not usually be true.

Thank you again.

Best,

Conchi 

[member was deleted] 21/05/13 20:09

On 21.05.2013 16:15 Concepcion Garcia-Pardo wrote:

" ... As I can see in the Handbook: "Note that the definition of avr in the final relationship is based on the assumption that the interfering signal is reduced by the receiver filter to the level of thermal noise".

Dear Conchi,

The quoted part of the handbook is continued with: “…, thus causing increase of overall receiver in band noise by 3 dB”. This is (only) an example for I/N = 0 dB, additionally assuming that the noise figure of the receiver is equal to 0 dB, but unfortunately not explicitly mentioned there.

In fact, the filter should reduce the interfering signal to that level which causes the acceptable increase of the receiver noise (which includes of course its noise figure; see also the attachment). For instance, a desensitisation (increase of the receiver noise) of 1 dB allows only an in band power of 6 dB below the receiver noise.

Regards,
Karl

[member was deleted] 30/05/13 12:17

Dear Karl,

Thank you for your answer. As far as I can understand blocking interference is related also with the overloaded threshold (maybe sensitivity mode)? Becuase other iRSS measurement is the iRSS overloading...

Thank you in advance.

[member was deleted] 30/05/13 19:23

On 30.05.2013 12:17 Concepcion Garcia-Pardo wrote:

"Becuase other iRSS measurement is the iRSS overloading...".

Dear Conchi,

Sorry, but now I cannot follow :(
Would you like to specify your point?

Regards,
Karl

Close
Site will periodically be offline Monday 22nd April between 0800 CEST and 1200 CEST - IMPORTANT - please read here for changes in functionality after update
Do not show again